Dean Smith has given a positive injury update on Ross Barkley, revealing to Birmingham Live that the 27-year-old will be back ahead of Aston Villa’s Boxing Day meeting with Crystal Palace.
Barkley has been sidelined with a hamstring injury since November and Smith has said for nearly a week that he will return very soon, so Villa should have another midfield option available in the coming days.
Smith said: “We didn’t want to take a risk in the colder weather tonight (against West Brom). It’s one of those injuries. He’ll be fit for Crystal Palace.”
The England international hasn’t featured since coming off just five minutes into last month’s 2-1 defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion, hobbling off the pitch clutching his right hamstring after taking a free kick.
READ ASTON VILLA VERDICT
Barkley missed Villa’s 2-1 defeat to West Ham United, 1-0 win over Wolvers, 0-0 draw with Burnley and Sunday’s 3-0 win over West Bromwich Albion, but the Claret and Blues haven’t struggled in his absence.
Smith has called upon Jacob Ramsey and Marvelous Nakamba in recent weeks due to a lack of available midfielders and Villa are unbeaten in three Premier League games. The Midlands outfit will finally be spoilt for choice when Palace come to Villa Park, too, and having an in-form player like Barkley back can only be a good thing.
In other news, many Aston Villa fans hailed one ‘unplayable’ star after Sunday’s win over West Bromwich Albion.





